Friday, February 20, 2015

Sight Word Fun

      Holy cow, I have no idea where the past two weeks have gone!?! Between snow/cold days, the 100th day, Valentines day and personal days, the weeks have gone by in a blur!

      If you follow me on Instagram, you know I was out of school last Thursday and Friday to take Elli to an allergy appointment. Her allergist is 6 hours away in Wisconsin, so we decided to turn the trip into a mini family vacay and stay at an indoor water park. So. FUN!



      This week we were in school for two days and then got hit with extreme cold, so we've been out of school for the past two days. (Michigan is no stranger to snow and cold, but this kind of cold, -32, is crazy!!)  So needless to say, my kiddos were a bit on the squirrely side when we finally got back together today after delayed start this morning.

       My friend Elizabeth at Kickin' It In Kindergarten has inspired me create some worksheet free activities that get my kiddos moving and engaged. I knew today would be a perfect day to pull one out, and help me assess my students sight word knowledge in the process.


      I gave each students a washable scented marker, and then shouted out sight words that I wanted them to write out on the tables around the room. They scurried around and wrote each word four times. (** We did a lot of talking ahead of time about how this was a "special activity" and they could write on the tables for this activity only. I have a few little graffiti artists who like to draw on the tables.)


      When we were done the tables looked like this. It was a great way to see who could write out the sight words, who still needed help with letter formation, and who was following the directions.


      The kiddos then returned to their tables and we put on our "eraser fingers" (aka wipes over our fingers). They took turns going around the table and reading words and erasing them off.

      Not only was I able to do some quick assessments on my kiddos, but they were engaged and having fun. . . . and as an added bonus my tables are now squeaky clean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment