Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Little Things

I have been overwhelmed the past week and a half with testing, charting growth, creating portfolios and analyzing data. 

I have been putting this pressure on myself to push my kids just a little farther,  hit just a few more concepts, and work just a little faster to squeeze everything in. 

So when our fifth grade science teacher invited my class to come down and see the eggs and baby chicks he had hatching in his room, I agreed. . . but we were only going to take a quick look, and then get back to business. (My kids have been wild little wiggle butts, so I figured a "quick peek" was about all they would be able to handle.) 


We walked into that room and the whole mood shifted. . . . they sat there. . . unbelievably still. . . and watched. They quietly "ooooed" and "awwwed" over the little chicks. 


Then we opened up the incubator and could hear little peeps coming from the eggs inside. One little egg started to wiggle and crack. . . my class sat there for 15 minutes. . . watching in silence. . . not moving a muscle!! 

I couldn't take my eyes off of their little faces as they watched this little chick in amazement. It was so incredible to see that little bird pop out into the world!

It made me stop and think that these are the little moments that matter! These are the memories my little Kindergarteners are going to take with them. 

In a day filled with such sadness and heart breaking news, I needed to stop, and look at what was happening in my little corner of the world . . . and be grateful for all of these little things. 



2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Your kiddos are so lucky to have experienced this!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the best posts I have read! So awesome to watch kids see something for the first time.

    ReplyDelete