Monday, May 20, 2013

Geo Logs

I have been M.I.A. this past week. . . wading my way through end of the year assessments, DIBELS testing, after school meetings and a nasty sinus/ allergy thingy. Any spare time I had was spent in a heap on the couch. 

I am back now, and feeling great. . . ready to tackle the last 10 days of school. 

For the past few weeks my little Kinders have been making Geo Logs at our workbench center.

One of our wonderful retired Kindergarten teachers, had a few trees that had fallen on her property, and she came up with this wonderful idea!! She and her husband were sweet enough to cut individual little logs for each student. 

After tons and tons of explaining and modeling, each student was given a log,  and a template that showed them where the nails should go. 

Clothes pins worked perfectly to hold the nails in place and save any little fingers from getting hammered. 

The students then took nail polish and painted the top of the nail heads. 

After the paint has dried we tare off the the paper (hammer back in any loose nails) and tie on a piece of string. 

The kiddos are so proud of their little logs, and we have used them in a variety of ways. The class loves to do "letter warm-ups" with them in the morning. I will give them a letter sound or word and they will used their Geo Log to create the letters. 




2 comments:

  1. Ugh DIBELS! I am doing that right now! Love your Geo Logs! What a fun idea!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nonsense words sections drives me nuts! We are almost to summer though. . . yay!!!

      Delete